In the US, over 90 million adults snore in their sleep. Additionally, 59 percent of the population has a partner who snores at night. Millions of these people are in search of a cure to the persistent problem of snoring, and that is after having tried and failed with the more traditional methods. These days the issue is one to be taken very seriously, and to be addressed in a similar manner.
Most doctors would tell you that snoring is not just an annoyance, but, in fact, a condition that brings along serious health consequences. Ignoring the former means ignoring the latter as well. If you know a person who snores at night, then it is probably high time you got them to do something about it.
Snoring Solutions to Address Snoring
- Oral or Dental Devices: The main goal with these is to get rid of the obstruction in the airways, for which the main reason is usually the tongue. If this is the cause of snoring or sleep apnea, then a mandibular advancement device can be used. It forces the lower jaw forward a bit, and consequently moves the tongue’s base away from the back of the throat.
- Tennis Ball: Snoring almost always results from sleeping on your back, which causes the tongue to fall back into the throat. One way to combat this is to attach a tennis ball to the back of your nightshirt so you will sleep on your side. Eventually, sleeping that way will become a habit.
- Tongue Aerobics: One of the causes of snoring and sleep apnea is muscle weakness, especially in the tongue, upper throat, and mouth. You can perform exercises for strengthening these muscles, mainly targeting the ones used for chewing and swallowing. It has been proven that doing a few tongue exercises each day can bring down the chances of snoring at night.
- Pillow Change: You may have allergens in the room or in your pillows, which cause you to snore. In such cases, you would feel fine during the day. You may even be having an allergic reaction to the material on your pillow.
- Nose Cones: You can place these in each nostril to expand it. The technique works similarly to nasal strips, but there is none of the irritation of removing the latter come morning.
- Nasal Sprays: Using these regularly can help eliminate bacteria, which may be causing obstructions in the nasal airway.